In just a few minutes we’ll be announcing the RBC Heritage Player of the Week for Week 9, but we first need to throw some love toward the dudes who helped their teams to big wins on Friday without getting all the publicity.
This space is devoted to the road graders on the offensive line, the run-stuffers and shutdown DBs on defense, and the special teams standouts. In other words, the guys who don’t have the shiny statistics that attract the spotlight.
We call them the Unsung Heroes, and here they are for Week 9 of the high school football season.
• HHCA DL Dargan Cherry: 7 tackles, TFL, blocked punt, blocked FG in 31-20 win over JPII
• THA DB CJ Cleland: 6 tackles, 2 INTs in 49-6 win over Dorchester Academy
• BLHS DL Xavier Dykstra: 9 tackles, 2 TFL in 34-31 win over Colleton County
• MRHS DB Terry Fields: 5 tackles, 57-yard INT-TD in 49-7 win over Battery Creek
• THA LB Josh Gobel: 10 tackles, 3 TFL, 3 sacks, forced fumble in 49-6 win over Dorchester Academy
• MRHS DL Roderick Grant: 13 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 sacks, forced fumble in 49-7 win over Battery Creek
• MRHS DL Michael Ludwig: 11 tackles, 3 TFL, sack in 49-7 win over Battery Creek
• BA LB Edward McCormick: 16 tackles, 1/2 sack, 1.5 TFL in 74-34 win over Palmetto Christian
• BLHS RB/LB Kylan Simmons: 4-25, TD rushing; 8 tackles in 34-31 win over Colleton County
• BHS LB Brandon Smalls: 3 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 sacks, PBU in 33-18 win over HHIHS
All content at LowcoSports.com is free because Lowcountry sports fans deserve great sports coverage, but it takes a lot of time and effort to provide comprehensive local sports news. If you love what we're doing and want to help keep this content available to Lowcountry sports fans at no charge, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a Patreon patron with a recurring contribution. Think of it as an optional subscription fee.