Another week of high school football is in the books, and y’all, did the Lowcountry ever turn out some incredible performances in Week 5.
It was a struggle to cut the list of nominees down to 10, as a 150-yard receiver, two 100-yard rushers, and a number of defensive standouts failed to make the cut through no fault of their own.
We had an epic defensive struggle at May River High School, where the Sharks had a pass broken up in the end zone on fourth down as Beaufort High escaped with a 9-7 win. And we had a classic Bridge Bowl in which Bluffton edged Hilton Head Island High School 37-34 in double overtime, producing an embarrassment of riches when it comes to offensive stars.
But we can only pick 10 … and you can only pick one. Voting closes at 5 p.m. Wednesday, so spread the word.
• Trey Boothe, BCHS: 81 rushing yards, 3 TDs in 23-0 win vs. Whale Branch
• Hunter Brophy, MRHS: 11 tackles, 1 tackle for loss in 9-7 loss vs. Beaufort High
• Kagel Coke, BHS: INT-TD, 7 tackles, 1 tackle for loss, pass break-up in end zone to clinch 9-7 win at May River
• Dawson Coleman, BA: 5-for-8 passing, 112 yards, 2 TDs; 81 rushing yards, 2 TDs in 52-26 win at Northside Christian
• Zack Doe, JP2: 141 rushing yards, 2 TDs in 50-27 loss at Dorchester Academy
• Hunter Eldridge, BLHS: 20-for-32 passing, 391 yards, 4 TDs in 37-34 2OT win at HHIHS
• Daniel Harrington, HHCA: 13-for-22 passing, 192 yards, 3 TDs; 108 rushing yards, TD in 28-14 win at Colleton Prep
• Stone McDonald, HHP: 23-for-37 passing, 227 yards, TD; 81 rushing yards, 2 TDs in 29-14 win at Palmetto Christian
• Jermaine Patterson, BLHS: 5 receptions, 158 yards, 2 TDs in 37-34 2OT win at HHIHS
• Sterling White, HHIHS: 7 receptions, 130 yards; 80 rushing yards, TD in 37-34 2OT loss vs. Bluffton