We rolled out the candidates for the Week 2 LowcoSports High School Football Player of the Week earlier this week to much fanfare.
More than 5,000 of you voted to determine which of the guys who racked up the flashy stats would reign for the next few days as the big man on campus.
But what about the guys who made those stats possible or the ones who turned a strong performance in losing effort into a triumph?
Let’s take a moment to honor those guys, the “Unsung Heroes” of Friday night:
• Evan Brazil, THA: Junior left tackle earned an 86 percent grade and six pancake blocks while helping the Rebels roll up 720 total yards in a 46-29 win over Hilton Head Prep
• Reid Daughtry, BHS: Senior defensive end collected four tackles for loss and one sack to help the Eagles to a 48-13 rout of rival Battery Creek
• Jake Englehart, MRHS: Graded out as the top offensive lineman as the Sharks rushed for 322 yards in a 24-16 loss to Bluffton
• Carus Epps, WBECHS: Earned a remarkable 94 percent blocking grade to help teammate Irvin Mulligan rush for 123 yards in a 22-21 loss to Hilton Head Island
• Justin Heller, HHCA: Two-way lineman had four tackles, a tackle for loss, a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and a nice night at center in a 48-8 win over First Presbyterian
• Jonathan Orr & Jacob Weaver, HHIHS: Seahawks’ kicking tandem converted three field goals, including a 37-yarder each, to lift HHIHS to a 22-21 win at Whale Branch
All content at LowcoSports.com is free because Lowcountry sports fans deserve great sports coverage, but it takes a lot of time and effort to provide comprehensive local sports news. If you love what we're doing and want to help keep this content available to Lowcountry sports fans at no charge, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a Patreon patron with a recurring contribution. Think of it as an optional subscription fee.