I’ve been saying it all year, but this might have been the toughest week yet to cut the list of RBC Heritage Player of the Week nominees to just 12 players – and we only had 11 teams in action last week.
A couple of standout quarterbacks ended up on the scrap heap despite strong performances, along with a 100-yard rusher, a 100-yard receiver, and several defensive stars. Luckily, we’ll pick some of those guys up with this week’s Unsung Heroes.
But these 12 dudes were the best of the best, the cream of the crop. Pick your favorite and vote before 5 p.m. Thursday. Here are this week’s nominees:
• JPII RB/LB Freddie Aiken: 94 yards, 2 TDs on six carries; 9 tackles, TFL, forced fumble, fumble recovery in 60-19 win over Northwood Academy
• BCHS WR Denarol Brown: 3 catches for 85 yards, 3 TDs in 41-20 win over Lake Marion
• BA RB De’Shaun Epps: 220 yards, 3 TDs on 19 carries; 2 catches for 39 yards, TD in 40-28 loss to Andrew Jackson Academy
• JPII RB/LB Melik Frost: 84 yards, TD on 10 carries; 7 tackles, 2 TFL in 60-19 win over Northwood Academy
• BCHS QB Jordan Gwyn: 6-of-13, 109 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs; 55 yards, 2 TDs on 10 carries in 41-20 win over Lake Marion
• HHCA WR/DB Daniel Harrington: 13 catches for 228, 2 TDs; 25 yards, 2 TDs on eight carries; TD pass; 3 tackles, PBU in 42-28 win over Orangeburg Prep
• BLHS QB Lee Kirkland: 15-of-31 for 278 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs in 28-14 win over Beaufort High
• MRHS RB Brandon Morales: 195 yards, 3 TDs on 19 carries in 41-7 win over Ridgeland-Hardeeville
• THA RB JR Patterson: 138 yards, TD on eight carries in 42-7 win over Spartanburg Christian
• THA RB Trey Pusha: 87 yards, TD on nine carries; 80-yard KR-TD; 36-yard TD pass in 42-7 win over Spartanburg Christian
• BLHS WR Shamar Sandgren: 5 catches for 152 yards, 3 TDs; 3 tackles in 28-14 win over Beaufort High
• HHCA QB Hayden Shinn: 24-of-30, 428 yards, 3 TDs; 87 yards on 13 carries in 42-28 win over Orangeburg Prep
Voting closes at 5 p.m. ET on Thursday, Oct. 11
All content at LowcoSports.com is free because Lowcountry sports fans deserve great sports coverage, but it takes a lot of time and effort to provide comprehensive local sports news. If you love what we're doing and want to help keep this content available to Lowcountry sports fans at no charge, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a Patreon patron with a recurring contribution. Think of it as an optional subscription fee.