It’s gameday, and we’re still wrapping up the RBC Heritage Player of the Week voting for Week 8, but before we move on to Week 9, let’s take a moment to reflect on the guys who did the dirty work behind the scenes last Friday.
This space is devoted to the road graders on the offensive line, the run-stuffers and shutdown DBs on defense, and the special teams standouts. In other words, the guys who don’t have the shiny statistics that attract the spotlight.
We call them the Unsung Heroes, and here they are for Week 8 of the high school football season.
• THA OL Evan Brazil, Therion Cannon, John Hampton Hewlett, Dalton Hayes, Josh Arzillo: Rebels had 532 rushing yards (12.4 yards per carry) in 40-0 win vs. Bethesda Academy
• MRHS OL Gabe Long, Joe Whiteaker, Will Wilson, Connor Kovacs, Kailin Prescott-Ferguson: Sharks had 324 rushing yards (6.4 yards per carry) in 30-7 win vs. Beaufort High
• BA RB/LB Edward McCormick: 7.5 tackles, 2.5 sacks, PBU, safety, rushing TD in 60-6 win vs. Cathedral Academy
• RHHS KR Ky’Juan Swinton: 90-yard KR-TD in 13-12 loss to Battery Creek
• THA LB Bryce Tillotson: 20 tackles, 2 TFL, sack, PBU in 40-0 win vs. Bethesda Academy
• HHCA LB Ben Viljac: 12 Tackles, including stop on decisive 2-point conversion in 15-13 win vs. Colleton Prep
• MRHS DB Jayden Void: 4 tackles, 6 PBUs in 30-27 win vs. Beaufort High
• BCHS DE Brandon Wilson: 5 tackles, TFL, sack in 13-12 win vs. Ridgeland-Hardeeville
• BCHS DL Malachi Wilson: 8 tackles, TFL in 13-12 win vs. Ridgeland-Hardeeville
All content at LowcoSports.com is free because Lowcountry sports fans deserve great sports coverage, but it takes a lot of time and effort to provide comprehensive local sports news. If you love what we're doing and want to help keep this content available to Lowcountry sports fans at no charge, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a Patreon patron with a recurring contribution. Think of it as an optional subscription fee.