Hilton Head Prep boys tennis breezed to a convincing win in its season opener Tuesday at South Beach Racquet Club, taking five of six singles matches from visiting Porter-Gaud in a 7-2 victory.
Britton Buckinham, Alex Zhu, and Wyatt Harmer cruised to easy wins in straight sets in the top three spots, JW Moody fought through a first-set tiebreaker to win in straight sets at No. 4, and Thomas Dowe won a three-set thriller at No. 5 to clinch the win.
The Dolphins showcased their depth by running out six different players for doubles and took two of the three courts. Drew Ruckavina and Beckett Jones teamed up to take down the Cyclones’ top two players, and Lachlan Buckingham and Alston Adams knocked off Porter-Gaud’s Nos. 3 and 4 players at No. 2 doubles.
Porter-Gaud’s lone victories came at No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles.
HHP (1-0) travels to Beaufort High on Thursday.
Hilton Head Prep 5, Porter-Gaud 1
1. Britton Buckingham (HHP) def. Ethan Curb 6-3, 6-1
2. Alex Zhu (HHP) def. Bryce Bunting 6-2, 6-0
3. Wyatt Harmer (HHP) def. Brooks Prus 6-2, 6-0
4. JW Moody (HHP) def. Jimmy Letton 7-6 (8), 6-1
5. Thomas Dowe (HHP) def. Baker Wilkins 6-1, 1-6, 10-5
6. Nirran Patel (PG) def. James Aragon 6-3, 6-1
1. Drew Ruckavina/Beckett Jones (HHP) def. Curb/Bunting 8-6
2. Lachlan Buckingham/Alston Adams (HHP) def. Prus/Letton 8-2
3. Anthony Malant/Evan Mushbaum (PG) def. Ernest Friday/Miles Heginbottom 8-3
Some local sports content that is not sponsored is now available only to LowcoSports.com’s Patreon supporters. Pledge your monthly support here for as little as $1 per month to ensure you have access to all of our grassroots LOCAL sports coverage!