Beaufort High’s best-ever boys tennis season ended with a heartbreaking 4-2 loss to powerhouse AC Flora in the Class 4A state championship match Saturday in Florence.
Bodie Daniel and Griffin Stone earned wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles for the Eagles, but the Falcons swept the remaining courts, including a thrilling three-set victory at No. 1 and a hard-fought victory at No. 2 doubles to clinch the title.
The Eagles complete the season with a 15-3 overall record with their only losses coming to undefeated state championship teams — two to SCISA 3A power Hilton Head Prep and one to AC Flora.
“Coach Stone and I are very proud of the boys for their never-give-up attitude and making history with the best run Beaufort High has ever had,” Beaufort coach David Riedmayer said. “We will be back in the state championship next season.”
TENNIS COVERAGE SPONSORED BY
1. Michael Davis (ACF) def. Graeme Angus 3-6, 6-3, 10-5
2. Rick Hewitt (ACF) def. Tucker Martin 6-1, 6-1
3. William Overdyke (ACF) def. Diego Alvarez 6-3, 6-4
4. Bodie Daniel (BHS) def. Cahoun McCullough 7-5 6-4
5. Griffin Stone (BHS) def. Lucas Jefferies 6-4 6-2
2. Ethan Johnson/Myers Murphy (ACF) def. Joseph Combs/Witt Compton 7-6 (7-4), 6-3