Hilton Head High boys tennis dropped a heartbreaker Wednesday at South Aiken, ending its season with a 4-3 loss to the Thoroughbreds in the first round of the Class 4A playoffs.
Alex Ruckno and Stefan Russell picked up singles victories, and Moses Grant and Shane Mason teamed up to win at No. 2 doubles — all in three-set battles — to force the match to a deciding No. 1 doubles contest.
South Aiken’s Sebastian Rogerson and Jasper Gazzo paired up following their singles victories to deliver the winning point with a 6-0, 6-1 victory, sending the Thoroughbreds into the Lower State semifinals.
The Seahawks finish the season with a 10-4 overall record.
TENNIS COVERAGE SPONSORED BY
1. Sebastian Rogerson (SA) def. Evan Phillips 6-0, 6-1
2. Alex Ruckno (HHIHS) def. Pate Rowan 7-6 (8-6) 0-6, 10-8
3. Jasper Gazzo (SA) def. Brent Geist 6-0, 6-2
4. Ben Porca Konjikusic (SA) def. Grant Pagatpatan 6-0, 6-1
5. Stefan Russell (HHIHS) def. Haze Matthew 6-2, 1-6, 10-4
1. Rogerson/Gazzo (SA) def. Phillips/Ruckno 6-0, 6-1
2. Moses Grant/Shane Mason (HHIHS) def. Drew Sich/Owen Brumfield 6-3, 6-7 (4-7), 10-7