The defending Class 4A state champion Hilton Head High girls tennis team breezed to a 6-0 win at South Aiken in the first round of the state playoffs Tuesday.
Despite being the No. 2 seed from Region 7-4A, the Seahawks had no trouble ousting the Region 5-4A champion Thoroughbreds. Hilton Head High won all six matches in straight sets, dropping a total of six games along the way.
The Seahawks will travel to Region 6-4A champion West Florence for a second-round match Thursday with the winner advancing to the Lower State championship.
TENNIS COVERAGE SPONSORED BY
1. Emily Ruckno def. Natalie Cannon 6-0; 6-0
2. Hailey Poplin def. Hannah Dickson 6-0; 6-0
3. Sierra Seabra def. Hailey Young 6-0; 6-1
4. Danielle Silvan def. Caroline Bowers 6-0; 6-1
5. Madeleine Pollitzer def. Lila Gazzo 6-2; 6-0
2. Katie Watts/Gracie Fader def South Aiken 6-1; 6-1