Hilton Head High avenged last year’s loss in the state championship match and punched its ticket back to the title match with an impressive victory Monday.
The Seahawks took three singles courts and swept the doubles matches to claim a 5-2 win at AC Flora in Lower State finals, setting up a matchup with Upper State champion Greenville for the Class 4A title at 10 a.m. Saturday at Cayce Tennis Center.
Emily Ruckno and Sydney Hall swept to straight sets wins, and Hailey Poplin’s three-set victory at No. 5 ensured the Seahawks would lead after singles play and need to take just one doubles court to clinch the win. Madeleine Pollitzer and Katie Watts obliged, winning in straight sets at No. 2 to send Hilton Head High to the championship match for the third time in four years since moving up to Class 4A.
The Seahawks are seeking their first title since winning six straight Class 3A crowns from 2007-13.
HHIHS 5, AC Flora 2
1. Emily Ruckno (HH) def. Siona Sturgeon 6-0, 6-2
2. Frances Smith (ACF) def. Sierra Seabra 6-3, 6-3
3. Caroline Overdyke (ACF) def. Danielle Silvan 6-4, 2-6, 10-7
4. Sydney Hall (HH) def. Lani Sturgeon 6-4, 6-0
5. Hailey Poplin (HH) def. Karsyn Misenheimer 6-4, 4-6, 10-5
1. Ruckno/Seabra (HH) def. Sturgeon/Smith 6-2, 4-2 (ret.)
2. Madeleine Pollitzer/Katie Watts (HH) def. Olivia Bokesch/Emma Templeton 6-1, 6-3