Several area teams piled up the points on offense Friday night, and a couple pitched shutouts on defense.
Behind every great offensive performance is a tough offensive line. And anytime the defense puts up a goose egg, it means 11 (or more) guys put in the work.
The guys who have the stats next to their names in the box score get their just rewards, but their teammates who help make those numbers possible don’t always get their due.
They do here at LowcoSports. We call them the Unsung Heroes, and here they are for Week 2 of the high school football season:
• Therion Cannon, THA — Junior offensive lineman graded out at 85% in a 52-8 win at John Paul II
• Joshua Fields, WB — Senior defensive lineman recorded seven tackles, two tackles for loss, and a quarterback hurry that led to an interception in a 28-0 win over Cross
• Rod Grant, MRHS — Junior defensive lineman anchored the defense in a 54-14 win over Bluffton
• Brandon Howard, RHHS — Sophomore standout had nine tackles, a sack, two quarterback hurries, two pass break-ups, 90 yards from scrimmage, and three pancake blocks in 39-0 win over Estill
• Christian Jackson, HHCA — Junior guard anchored the offensive line in a 42-21 over Memorial Day
• Jackson Lanier, HHCA — Sophomore racked up a team-high eight tackles and rushed for 65 yards and a touchdown in a 42-21 win over Memorial Day
• Ely’Jiah Mitchell, THA — Senior collected 12 tackles and one tackle for loss along with a rushing TD in 52-8 win at John Paul II
• Tre Mitchell, WB — Senior guard put together the best game of his career with four pancake blocks in a 28-0 win over Cross
• Sean Morris, MRHS — Senior center graded out at 76% with four pancakes in a 54-14 win over Bluffton
• Malik White, RHHS — Junior offensive lineman racked up six pancake blocks in a 39-0 win over Estill