Hilton Head Prep’s boys tennis team was denied in its bid for a sixth consecutive SCISA 2A state championship Thursday, as the Dolphins lost a hard-fought 5-4 match to Spartanburg Day at Cayce Tennis Center.
The Dolphins lost three of the four three-set matches, in all three of which they won the opening set. Spartanburg Day took four of the six singles matches, meaning Hilton Head Prep needed to sweep all three doubles courts to retain the title.
The Dolphins nearly pulled it off, winning the first two courts, but Spartanburg Day pulled out a three-set win at No. 3 doubles to clinch it.
The Dolphins finish with a 12-4 record.
1. Robert Hagen (HHP) def. Campbell Wildrick 6-3, 6-1
2. Mo Woodson (HHP) def. Clay Killoren 6-2, 6-0
3. Corey Garrity (SD) def. Justin Perez 6-2, 6-3
4. Anderson Gosnell (SD) def. Drew Rukavina 4-6, 6-3, 10-7
5. Russell Judge (SD) def. Thor Pullon 6-3, 6-4
6. Zachary Rawlinson (SD) def. Magnus Ferreira 3-6, 6-2, 10-5
1. Hagen/Rukavina (HHP) def. Wildrick/Killoren 6-2, 4-6, 10-2
2. Woodson/Perez (HHP) def. Garrity/Gosnell 6-3, 6-2
3. Judge/Rawlinson (SD) def. Pullon/Max Marko 4-6, 7-6, 7-4
All content at LowcoSports.com is free because Lowcountry sports fans deserve great sports coverage, but it takes a lot of time and effort to provide comprehensive local sports news. If you love what we're doing and want to help keep this content available to Lowcountry sports fans at no charge, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a Patreon patron with a recurring contribution. Think of it as an optional subscription fee.