|Middle Georgia (1-1) at USCB (1-1)|
|Date & Time||Friday, 5 p.m. ET|
|Location||Fin Land Field|
|TV/Web||Sand Shark Gameday Network (Stretch Internet)|
|Live Stats||Sand Shark Gameday Network (Stretch Internet)|
|Head-To-Head|| All-Time: Series ied 1-1
Current Streak: USCB won last 1
All-Time At USCB: MGA leads 1-0
The USCB women’s soccer team renews its regional rivalry with Middle Georgia at 5 p.m. Friday at Fin Land Field. The teams have split meetings the past two seasons with each winning on the opponent’s home field. USCB claimed a 4-2 victory last season in Cochran, Ga.
It’s the first of two matches this weekend for the Sand Sharks, who also host Georgetown (Ky.) at noon Sunday. USCB is looking to bounce back after a 2-1 loss to Asbury (Ky.) on Saturday in which the Eagles scored the winning goal on a corner kick in the 89th minute.
• All home games this season will be broadcast at no charge to viewers via the Sand Shark Gameday Network on Stretch Internet.
• The Sand Sharks return six starters from last year’s team, including all-time leading scorer Hayley Piña and fellow seniors Karen Pimentel and MJ Orduña. The returners hope to quickly mesh with a talented group of newcomers that includes NCAA Division I transfer Rileigh Olsen, NJCAA All-American Melissa Fichtner, and promising freshmen Allison Schaffer and Hannah Salus, among others.
• Senior F Hayley Piña is the Sand Sharks’ all-time leader in goals (24), assists (14) and points (62), and she ranks second with four career game-winning goals, one behind Alexa Muffley.
• Sophomore GK Moa Johansson entered the season as USCB’s all-time leader in goals against average after posting a 1.53 GAA last season, the best single-season mark in program history.
• Six different players scored goals in USCB’s season-opening 7-2 win against Life, as the Sand Sharks put up 34 shots, including 19 on goal. Sophomore MF Elin Sturesson scored twice for the Sand Sharks, while Hayley Pina, Karen Pimentel, MJ Orduna, Rileigh Olsen, and Daniella Borjas each added a goal.
• USCB’s seven goals against the Running Eagles marked the second-most in program history and the most since a 14-1 win over Florida Christian in 2012.
• With four points against Life, senior MF MJ Orduna moved into fourth place on USCB’s career list with 27.
• Senior F Daniella Borjas scored USCB’s lone goal in a 2-1 loss to Asbury, tying her with Elin Sturesson for the team lead with two goals.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENT
The Knights opened the season with a 2-1 loss to Sun Conference member Johnson & Wales before rebounding for a 3-0 win over Brenau (Ga.) on Saturday. Middle Georgia typically plays in a direct style and will try to target speedy forward Sam Silva with long passes over the top of the defense. Silva has scored three of the Knights’ four goals through two games while Linn Montan has three of the team’s four assists.
All content at LowcoSports.com is free because Lowcountry sports fans deserve great sports coverage, but it takes a lot of time and effort to provide comprehensive local sports news. If you love what we're doing and want to help keep this content available to Lowcountry sports fans at no charge, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a Patreon patron with a recurring contribution. Think of it as an optional subscription fee.