A short-handed May River tennis team dropped a tough 4-3 match to visiting St. Andrew’s on Thursday.
Despite playing without two of their top players due to the flu, the Sharks were able to push the Lions to the brink, as Benny O’Reilly staved off several match points in a marathon third-set tiebreaker at No. 4 singles to even the match at 3-3 and force the deciding doubles match.
St. Andrew’s claimed the final court, as Jack Wylly and Sam Rolland defeated Liam Beckler and Dominic Rodriguez 6-4, 6-4.
The Sharks travel to Beaufort High on Monday.
1. Jack Wylly (SA) def. Liam Beckler 6-0, 6-1
2. Dominic Rodriguez (MR) def. Samuel Rolland 6-4, 6-4
3. JP White (MR) def. Joe Kinsey 6-1, 6-3
4. Benny O’Reilly (MR) def. Andrew Longwater
5. Sam Bilyou (SA) def. Darren Wegard 6-3, 6-3
1. Wylly/Rolland (SA) def. Beckler/Rodriguez 6-4, 6-4
2. Dylan Dewey/Alex Nichols (SA) def. Simon Griswold/Hoyt Crosby 6-1, 6-1
All content at LowcoSports.com is free because Lowcountry sports fans deserve great sports coverage, but it takes a lot of time and effort to provide comprehensive local sports news. If you love what we're doing and want to help keep this content available to Lowcountry sports fans at no charge, please consider making a one-time donation or becoming a Patreon patron with a recurring contribution. Think of it as an optional subscription fee.